A model unique to Québec
As an accredited partner of the international 1% for the Planet network, Aventure Écotourisme Québec coordinates the 1% for the Planet Outdoor Fund as part of a unique partnership.
In 2019, Aventure Écotourisme Québec joined the 1% for the Planet movement as an organization that helps protect the environment through its Ecotourism certification.
In 2020, it became the first tourism association to partner with this international network by creating the 1% for the Planet Outdoors Fund and becoming a representative of this concept in Quebec.
Why a fund?
Together, we are able to support more effectively structuring projects that have a significant impact on the environment. The sales figure of Aventure Écotourisme Québec’s member companies totals over $140 million. With the participation of all our members, we have the potential to invest $1.4 million annually!
How does it work?
On a voluntary basis, Aventure Écotourisme Québec’s member companies commit to donating 1% of their sales to the Fund each year, whether they are profitable or not. They then automatically become members of 1% for the Planet, in addition to participating in the 1% for the Planet Outdoor Fund.
The funds that are raised are donated to Quebec non-profit organizations. They are managed by a management committee made up of representatives of the donor companies and civil society, who ensure that the investments have a maximum and sustainable impact.
The management committee’s decisions are guided by an expert in sustainable development and by 1% for the Planet, which certifies non-profit organizations to receive donations.
The 1% for the Planet Outdoor Fund can also receive donations from organizations that are not involved in this Quebec movement but are members of 1% for the Planet.
A natural committment
For Christine Choinière and Hugo Lavictoire of KSF, it is a question of respect for future generations.
For Richard Rémy, guide and founder of Karavaniers, we must act together and now.
1% for the Planet, an internationally recognized movement
Launched in 2002 by Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard and Blue Ribbon Flies founder Craig Mathews, 1% for the Planet has donated over $250 million to environmental nonprofits to date. Today, 1% for the Planet is a network of more than 3,000 corporate members, a new and growing core of individual members and thousands of nonprofit partners based in more than 90 countries.
By working together with this international movement, we are taking a credible and internationally recognized approach.
1% for the Planet :
- certifies the non-profits that will receive donations;
- ensures that the 1% for the Planet Outdoor Fund is managed in accordance with its guiding principles;
- provides expertise in managing the Fund’s investments and communications.
Visit 1% for the Planet’s website to learn more.
Stay tuned on our actions
PRESS RELEASES (in french)
- 2023 : 228 000 $ remis à dix initiatives environnementales québécoises en 2023
- 2022 : 105 000 $ pour la planète en 2022
- 2021 : Un premier bilan positif pour le Fonds plein air 1% pour la planète
ANNUAL REPORTS (in french)
Ready to join the movement?
1% for the Planet Outdoor Fund
1. How much of the funds raised are used to pay the Fund's administration costs?
Administrative costs are capped at 10% of the available budget and include: costs related to the support of a sustainability expert, membership in 1% for the Planet, and a budget for promoting the projects we support. Thus, at least 90% of the funds raised are reinvested directly in projects led by non-profit organizations based in Quebec.
2. Isn't offsetting greenhouse gas emissions a false solution to the climate emergency?
The purchase of carbon credits allows us to invest directly in greenhouse gas reduction projects. The choice of Gold Standard certified carbon credits is motivated by our desire to give priority to projects that reduce GHG emissions and to support North-South solidarity in a spirit of climate justice. We are therefore acting in a very concrete way, where it counts.
This is the first step in a structured approach to aligning Quebec’s adventure tourism and ecotourism sector on a collective carbon neutrality pathway by 2025. Indeed, Aventure Écotourisme Québec has committed to measuring the GHG emissions of all its members (over 225 businesses to date) and to establishing reduction targets for its sector by April 2023.
We base our work on the Net Zero Initiative’s framework, which recommends action in this order of priority:
- reduce one’s own direct and indirect GHG emissions;
- help others reduce their emissions;
- remove carbon from the atmosphere through carbon sinks;
The 1% for the Planet Outdoor Fund’s strategy to address climate change is guided by this benchmark.
3. Isn't this just another solution to clear one's conscience?
No. The companies that contribute to the 1% for the Planet Outdoors Fund are firmly committed to sustainable development. They have adopted an action plan and are taking action on several fronts. The 1% for the Planet Outdoors Fund is an additional lever for them to take concrete action. Most of them also hold the AEQ’s Ecotourism certification, a sign of the importance they attach to environmental protection and to raising the awareness of clients in this regard.
4. How is the Fund managed?
A management committee decides to which organizations donations should be given, in accordance with the Fund’s attribution rules. The committee is composed of five representatives of AEQ member companies, two representatives of civil society, and two non-voting observers, representing the Ministère du Tourisme du Québec and 1% for the Planet. An expert in sustainable development accompanies the committee in the selection of organizations, proposing a donation strategy and ensuring that the organizations have a real impact.
5. How does the Fund select the projects it supports?
Non-profit organizations are targeted by both the companies participating in the Fund and our sustainability expert. The Fund then organizes a call for proposals in order to invite these organizations to present the projects they wish to be funded. The Fund’s management committee is responsible for selecting the non-profit organizations to be supported each year.
The 1% for the Planet Outdoor Fund has developed a donation strategy:
- Support environmental organizations that are making a difference.
- Ensure the credibility of the Fund: donate to organizations and implement actions that have a real impact, communicate these facts clearly.
- Federate our member companies: donate to organizations and implement actions that reflect the values of our entrepreneurs in order to encourage them to join the 1% for the Planet Outdoor Fund.
Fields of activity of supported projects:
- protection of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems;
- protection of animal species;
- fighting against and adapting to climate change.